Monday, November 29, 2021

Person Update: Final

This Fall I have focused on learning Blender as my primary skill development. I've been able to establish a quick and effective workflow that is now as fast and effective (if not better) than my workflow in Maya. In addition to transitioning my current modeling workflow over from Maya, I also learned how to us Blender's Cycles renderer and bevel shader to create high polygon models without using subdivision modeling.

Outside of developing my skills in Blender, I have spent my time figuring out how to better promote myself as a brand in order get hired. I now have my own website, utilizing ArtStation.com still as the home base but now with options for personal customization. I've also updated my LinkedIn page, started a Gumroad account (with nothing to sell yet) and minted my first NFT on OpenSea.io.

I interviewed with 2 companies this Fall:

  1. Osso VR: A simulation company that makes training sims for medical procedures. I had a really good first round interview and had a very good impression of the company. They seem to be growing fast and have a really good culture. I'd highly recommend for FIEAns to keep an eye on their job postings. https://boards.greenhouse.io/ossovr
  2. Vertex Solutions: Another training simulations company that primary works with the U.S. military and DOD. I was offered a job as a 3D artist and accepted. I'll be working remote and staying in Orlando for the time-being.

My current strengths as a 3D artist or overall employee are:

  1. Self disciplined
  2. Punctual, good at meeting deadlines
  3. Passionate about hard surface modeling
  4. Detail oriented
  5. I don't take criticism personally
 To summarize, I think my biggest asset is that I'm good at taking directions and completing whatever it is that I'm asked to do, on time. In my experience that's one of the most important qualities of being professionally successful.
 
 Here's an example of experimenting with Blender's bevel shader. You can see by the wireframe how low the geometry is on the model with the shader, yet it still looks high poly.




This is a grenade I modeled in Blender. I used this as practice so that I could get a feel for utilizing the new workflow start to finish.
 

New website




First minted NFT
 


No comments:

Post a Comment