This Fall I have focused on learning Blender as my primary skill development. I've been able to establish a quick and effective workflow that is now as fast and effective (if not better) than my workflow in Maya. In addition to transitioning my current modeling workflow over from Maya, I also learned how to us Blender's Cycles renderer and bevel shader to create high polygon models without using subdivision modeling.
Outside of developing my skills in Blender, I have spent my time figuring out how to better promote myself as a brand in order get hired. I now have my own website, utilizing ArtStation.com still as the home base but now with options for personal customization. I've also updated my LinkedIn page, started a Gumroad account (with nothing to sell yet) and minted my first NFT on OpenSea.io.
I interviewed with 2 companies this Fall:
- Osso VR: A simulation company that makes training sims for medical procedures. I had a really good first round interview and had a very good impression of the company. They seem to be growing fast and have a really good culture. I'd highly recommend for FIEAns to keep an eye on their job postings. https://boards.greenhouse.io/ossovr
- Vertex Solutions: Another training simulations company that primary works with the U.S. military and DOD. I was offered a job as a 3D artist and accepted. I'll be working remote and staying in Orlando for the time-being.
My current strengths as a 3D artist or overall employee are:
- Self disciplined
- Punctual, good at meeting deadlines
- Passionate about hard surface modeling
- Detail oriented
- I don't take criticism personally